Originally written December 7, 2014.
Many of you have been praying for a resolution to our Green Card application for Edu. Wednesday was the last possible day for us to be notified from the embassy to be able to travel to the U.S. as a family tomorrow.
After processing what makes sense vs. our emotions, prayer, and counsel from others, we’ve decided that Olivia and I will travel to Texas tomorrow. Edu will stay in Spain and wait to be notified by the embassy in Madrid. We don’t know how long he will have to wait. It could be a few days, it could be a few weeks. A great group of brothers and sisters in Madrid have offered to take him in and their generosity and love have made this much easierfor us.
The last few days (weeks?) have been filled with so many unknowns. We’ve had moments where we believe, and moments where we doubt, tears and laughs, and moments where we can be honest and say it has just been hard. Up until Wednesday, we had Plan A and Plan B prepared, but this plan never even entered our minds. To explain a little more, we realized that if we changed or cancelled all three of our tickets, we would likely suffer substantial penalties per ticket, plus playing with the unknowns of flight availability and increase in fares as we got closer and closer to Christmas.
It makes the most sense for us to take advantage of two of the three tickets, and rebook Edu’s ticket when we know for sure that his visa is ready. This unexpected Plan C is off-set by the Lord providing us with an even more surprising peace. As the clock ticked by on Wednesday and we realized there wouldn’t be any visa, we prayed, asking God to show up. We asked Him to supply us with the necessary faith to meet this challenge with faith and believe. And you know what? He did it. As hard as it is to think of our family being split on two different continents, He has given us a peace that allows us to rest in Him. We had a sweet time of prayer with our local church and a send-off party this afternoon. It is hard to sum up our time in Vilassar in a few words. Edu has served with this church for four years and I’ve served here for three. We’ve received an immeasurable amount of love and hospitality while at the same time being challenged to grow in the grace and knowledge of God.
Praises & Petitions:
- Praise God for giving us the faith to trust Him when we feel like we live with a steady stream of unknowns.
- Praise God for giving us tangible examples of his love to us and taking care of us.
- Please pray for travel mercies on Monday, Edu will go to Madrid by train and Olivia and I fly to London, then on to Dallas. We should land in Dallas around 3:00PM (local time).
- Please pray that we would keep this momentary separation in perspective and be reminded of our eternal hope in Christ. Our desire is that this experience would serve for us to tell of the goodness and faithfulness of God to others in spite of momentary circumstances.
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and for persevering with us in prayer.